- How much is the deposit and can we choose which agency we pay this to?
- The deposit is the standard 2 months’ net rent.
We work exclusively with Korfine (= an escrow account).
- What costs are not included in the rent?
- - Fixed monthly costs for electricity, gas, water and internet
- One-off cost for pre-tenancy inventory (EUR 50 excluding VAT)
- Annual fee for waste disposal (Depending on the city where you rent – EUR 60 excluding VAT)
- Is there a locked bike shed?
- Each project has a locked bicycle shed, covered or not, as the case may be. We do advise you, though, to bring a sturdy bike lock.
- Can I reserve a room?
- Unfortunately, each potential tenant is given the same opportunities. However, if you already own or rent a room at Upkot, then you will be given priority in choosing the room.
- Does the contract cover 12 months or 10 months?
- All our contracts are 12-month contracts
- Are students required to maintain their rooms?
Are the shared facilities cleaned by the Upkot coach?
- The rooms or studios should be maintained by the students.
The hallways, stairs, lift, entrance, waste disposal and the communal bathroom facilities are maintained weekly by the Upkot coach.
As for the maintenance of the shared kitchen and chill rooms, there is a student rota system, monitored by the Upkot coach.
- What if the studies prove too difficult and my son/daughter decides to quit?
- When students quit their studies, this sometimes means they also leave their digs. Although our fixed-period leases cannot be terminated, we make every effort to find a mutually beneficial solution, provided we put good agreements in place. Until a solution is found, you will remain bound to the lease. NOTE: from 28 February, subletting will no longer be allowed.
- What should we bring?
- In our Upkot projects, we provide all the fixtures and fittings: bed, wardrobe, desk, lighting, curtains. As you are required to bring your own free-standing furniture, including mattress and desk chair, you can give your room your own personal touch!
A standard single mattress measures 90cm x 200cm
The double beds vary in size depending on the project. Your Upkot coach will be able to give you exact measurements.
- What is the internet provider? Is the internet capacity unlimited?
- In our projects, we work with Telenet Internet or student internet.
The capacity is sufficient for the students’ standard use.
- Can students place an extra refrigerator in the room?
- Tenants who do not have their own kitchens are assigned a shelf in the communal fridge. We do not recommend bringing your own fridges.
If you do, you will be charged an extra EUR 20/month for electricity.
Kotkip tip: Think of the environment before you think of bringing an additional fridge!
- To what extent are the rooms/studies soundproofed?
- Based on our experience, we pay special attention to the insulation between rooms or studios. We take additional measures on top of the statutory requirements.
- “I would like to go on digs/stay in digs next year, but I’m going on Erasmus. What are the options?
- Especially for the Erasmus students, we have devised the 'comeback' formula. (See also General Terms and Conditions, Article 15). You sign a standard 12-month lease, but you look for a tenant to rent your room for the period you are abroad. For all details (appointments and cost), please talk to our Upkot coach on the spot.